Is CBD Oil Effective for PTSD?
CBD has shown promise as a potential treatment for PTSD without the side effects of conventional medicines.
It’s considered safe for use, but you have to take it under medical supervision if you’re taking other prescription medications.
CBD may offer support in the management of PTSD by supporting anxiety, insomnia, chronic pain, and other symptoms associated with the condition.
It may take a few doses of CBD before you notice any results.
How Does CBD Help With PTSD?
CBD offers several symptomatic benefits for patients with PTSD, including:
- Anxiety Relief – CBD works well in providing patients relief for their anxieties. It helps them achieve mental clarity and relaxes them away from worries including anxiety in children with autism disorder.
- Stress-Reduction – CBD helps one release the stress they are going through. It calms them down and keeps them focused.
- Insomnia & Nightmares – CBD oil helps one get better quality of sleep. Through the calm state that one can achieve from it, they can also sleep faster.
- Chronic Pain – CBD is known to be effective in easing physical discomfort and chronic pains.
What Is the Best Dose of CBD for PTSD?
Getting the right dose of CBD can be tricky. It’s because different people react in different ways to CBD.
The best thing is to start with a low dose and increase it gradually until you achieve your desired results.
If you’re reluctant to take CBD oil without knowing your right dose, it’s best to consult your doctor about it. They will help you know the dose that you need for the severity of your condition. They can also suggest the best products that you can use best for your condition.
THC or CBD: Which is Better for PTSD?
You can find lots of CBD products in the market. However, you have to check on the ingredients as some may contain THC. Some people prefer CBD products that contain THC while others choose those that only have CBD. Which is better in the treatment of the symptoms of PTSD?
- THC — psychoactive, good for sleep but only low doses, can trigger traumatic flashbacks. Use with caution.
- CBD — non-psychoactive, better for anxiety, more sedating, legal, better for pain.
It is always better to consult your doctor before opting to use CBD or THC for PTSD. When you take CBD, there are no psychoactive effects associated with it. This means that it has all the therapeutic properties of cannabis without getting you high.
CBD can help in controlling anxiety and other symptoms associated with PTSD. It also helps keep away psychotic effects from THC.
THC is known to help with insomnia, and it can also be used as a sedative for PTSD sufferers that deal with nightmares and insomnia. However, the psychoactive effects associated with THC can worsen your symptoms of stress and anxiety.
Tips: How to Use CBD For PTSD
Knowing how to use CBD will provide you with better results. There are several tips that you can get so you can have the utmost effects that you expect from CBD. Here are some tips on CBD usage.
- You can do this by reading the label first.
- And most importantly, the right dose must be followed. Make sure that you read and follow it properly.
- You can also ask for help from your doctor to know the proper use and dose of a certain CBD product.
- Keep CBD use consistent — every day at the same time
- Opt for full-spectrum — other cannabinoids and terpenes also help with PTSD
- Only buy from reputable brands
- Employ other lifestyle changes — CBD works best when combined with other treatments
Related post: Does CBD Help With Nerve Pain?
What Is PTSD?
Approximately 8.5% of the US population will have PTSD at some point in their lives according to statistics from the National Institute of Mental Health. It is a debilitating disorder that affects people of all ages, genders, races, and income levels. 
PTSD is a condition that can develop after experiencing or seeing a traumatic event. The two main symptoms are hyperarousal and re-experiencing the trauma through nightmares, flashbacks, severe anxiety, and stress. Feelings of fear can also last a long time which will affect how you deal with your daily activities and relationships.
PTSD is treatable with medications, psychotherapy, and alternative therapies. There are currently no FDA-approved medications for PTSD but there are several medications that can be used. CBD for PTSD is one such alternative therapy. Early detection and treatment are important so the patient can live a full life again without stress, worries, and depression.
Related post: How Long Does CBD Stay in your System?
Key Takeaways: Can CBD Help With PTSD Symptoms?
CBD for PTSD is all safe and effective as long as you stick to the recommended dosage. There are a lot of products and brands of CBD that you can find in the market.
When taking CBD for PTSD, it is also advisable to consult your doctor first before starting. This will prevent you from guessing what the right dose is for you. Your doctor will also help you know the type of CBD oil, product, or strain that will work best for your condition.